tanuki raw

08:22

Ever since my first passing glance at the unobtrusive wood panelled interior of this restaurant turned standing bar, I've constantly yearned to venture past the glass entrance of this tucked away food haven, and into the tastefully decorated space, which also extends into a breezy outdoor balcony fitted with additional seating overlooking the hustle and bustle of Orchard Road. 



To celebrate the midweek of work attachment, a friend and I hit the lighted walkways of the main shopping district, making a beeline for-- of course-- Tanuki Raw Bar, with empty stomachs and high anticipation. Passing a nod of acknowledgement to the tanuki (badger in Japanese) squinting at me from the front of house, I finally take my first steps inside, the buzz of early diners merely a muted hum around me. I opt to sit by the outdoor balcony, seeing as it's a relatively cool evening (or as cool as tropical June heat could be). To my right, a bartender mixes drinks with frantic shakes and a practiced pour. The rush of vehicles seems faraway despite only being a couple of floors below. Since Tanuki is known for its fusion style creations, we choose one side (Garlic and spam fries), Tanuki Aburi-- torched salmon and scallop with mentaiko on yuzu dressing, and Truffle Yakiniku. We order as quickly as possible, and food is served within 10 minutes, surprisingly and pleasantly quick.



Here is a food overview of everything we ate; I particularly liked the way they took care in presenting their food, synonymous with the Japanese emphasis on the importance of presentation.


The garlic fries (top) are slightly disappointing in flavour, but the spam fries (bottom) still provide a satisfying crunch and a burst of its signature saltiness. 


The truffle yakiniku paired a perfectly cooked onsen egg with melt-in-your-mouth beef that was just right-- marbled and juicy without being nauseatingly fatty. The rice seemed lacklustre in comparison, taking a flavour-backseat in the dish. 



This was, in my opinion, the best dish of the three. Tanuki truly nailed their fusion style, combining vibrant flavours that presented themselves as individuals without being overbearing to the palate. The salmon was fresh with a smooth texture, complemented by the cream surrounding it. I hold high standards for scallop dishes, and this one surpassed the mark, providing a slightly seared taste brought forward by the tangy hint of yuzu dressing.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next time I can return to this place, hopefully for something new to entice me further.

Tanuki Raw Bar
http://tanukibar.com/

181 Orchard Road
#02-03 Orchard Central
Singapore 238896

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

search

Subscribe